Sam's Math Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Math Girls  (Read 2168 times)

admin

• Administrator
Math Girls
« on: February 20, 2019, 11:48:51 PM »

Date: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 3:44 PM
Subject: MyMathcounts Sponsorship of a Math Competition for Girls in the DC Area
To: <ourmathcounts@gmail.com>

Dear MyMathCounts,

My name is Joy Shi, a satisfied student of yours, from the nonprofit Math Girls MD Inc based in Rockville, Maryland, and we are requesting your company to sponsor our math competition event for girls in the DC Metro Area, InteGIRLS. InteGIRLS is a math competition with challenging problems geared towards a talented group of young girls interested in joining the workforce as mathematicians, scientists, or executives! We plan to give cash prizes, along with other goodies, to our top scoring participants, but we will need funding in order to do so.

We believe that due to your commitment to education, MyMathCounts is a perfect sponsor for our event.

We are anticipating 150 participants consisting of middle and high school girls. Monetary donations like these can be in the form of prizes or scholarships. Additionally, volunteers, prize items, panelists are greatly appreciated!! Keep in touch so we can discuss what can be offered between us!

Your sponsorship would go to the hundreds of middle/high school girls in our area who are discouraged by the disparity between boys and girls in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). In a world where technology and science are rapidly developing, the influence of STEM fields is continuously rising. Having this wide discrepancy between boys and girls is detrimental to everyone, from research scientists to corporations’ technology departments to every other STEM related career, all of which would benefit from having a wider perspective.

Your contribution will help fund the future generations and create a world where there is no longer any stigma against girls in math and other STEM fields. It will lead to companies throughout the world that will benefit from having the different perspectives of a more diverse team. The girls that participate in our competition will be able to go on to do great things in part thanks to your contribution.

For more info or questions, please call me at ----- or email me back from this email, mathgirlsmaryland@gmail.com. Our website is integirls.org for even more information.

We really hope you consider our request!

We can coordinate in-person visits or meetings if MyMathcounts would like to learn more information about our cause and our goals.

Best Regards,

Joy Shi
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 05:13:53 PM by Administrator »

admin

• Administrator
Re: Math Girls
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 11:49:31 PM »

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 3:57 PM ourmathcounts <ourmathcounts@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Joy,

I am very happy to hear back from you.

How are you doing?

Thanks for organizing this event and I am happy to help.

We sponsored Phillips Academy Annual math Competition in last October with some math competition books worth about $2000.

I checked your competition date and I believe that I have enough time to order and send you the same type of  book (50 Mathcounts Lectures, 50 AMC Lectures, Twenty problem Solving Skills, Twenty More Problem Solving Skills).

Is it okay with you?

Let me know,

Best regards,

Yongcheng

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 11:50:10 PM »

Date: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: Attention: Joy Shi Re: MyMathcounts Sponsorship of a Math Competition for Girls in the DC Area
To: ourmathcounts <ourmathcounts@gmail.com>

Hi!

It's good to hear from you! Your books have been extremely helpful and I owe much of my math skills now to the practice that I did in your 50 MathCounts Lectures and AMC lectures books. I have many of your books on my shelf right now, and they have definitely been the most useful for preparing for math competitions!
I love the idea of sending books for our contestants -- we will be happy to distribute them, and we will provide the sponsor benefits for MyMathCounts accordingly. I myself will promote your online math competition classes for all of the participants, as I hope your lessons will help the next generation of students as much as they have helped me.

Please send any materials to our P.O. Box, located at:
P.O. Box 4366, Rockville, MD, 20849

I'm so excited to work with you!

Thank you,
Joy Shi
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:22:19 AM by Administrator »

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 11:50:49 PM »

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 4:28 PM ourmathcounts <ourmathcounts@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Joy,

Thanks for the nice words about our online class and our math books.

Sure. I will order the books soon and let you know the delivery date.

Please tell me the level of the competition. Is this at Mathcounts level, AMC 10/12, AIME level or other?  I can also help by spreading the words about your program.

Thanks,

Yongcheng

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:21:45 AM by Administrator »

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 11:51:29 PM »

Date: Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: Attention: Joy Shi Re: MyMathcounts Sponsorship of a Math Competition for Girls in the DC Area
To: ourmathcounts <ourmathcounts@gmail.com>

Hi,

We will have two divisions, one for middle schoolers, which is about MathCounts chapter/state target round level, and one for high schoolers, wihch is AMC 12/AIME level. Thank you so much for offering to spread the word! While we are mostly concentrated on girls in the Washington DC area, we will gladly accept participants from all around the country.

Thank you again,

Joy Shi

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:21:09 AM by Administrator »